Yeah, Back in the Saddle with Apple Blossoms

I needed the break I took the last few weeks. I jumped into this series full steam ahead and needed a rest! 

Very happy to have acted on my strategizing of the last few weeks and put pencil to paper today.

This spring there have been an abundance of flowering trees in my neighborhood. They inspired me to indulge in a favorite pass time, writing haiku.

            Cherry trees in spring
            The flowers like falling stars
            Bringing me such joy 

Narrows Botanical Gardens has a number of blooming apple trees which did not disappoint. There are many flowering plants at the Gardens now but the apple blossoms really captured my attention. They are especially beautiful but maybe it's also in my father's memory I celebrate them now. He was a great fan of apples and apple trees. He nurtured many an apple tree in his days as a gardener. This one's for you Dad.



This is the sketchbook drawing that solidified my vision for this work. It may appear rather crude but it speak volumes to me. As I look back over the series, the mullein (Drawing1) stands out as an especially strong image with plants/vegetation prominently situated dominating the center of the drawing. Hence this approach with Apple Blossoms.

Below is that sketch translated onto the full scale 30"x30". Again, it may appear a bit chaotic but a path is being forged that will lead to the finished drawing. Lots of back and forth, lots of erasing, lots of looking and feeling my way along. But happy to be there right now.

 

Apple Blossoms, work in progress, 30"x30"

 Stay tuned for the ride.

 Learn more about my work at www.KristinHarrisDesign.com or @kristinharrisdesign  @anim8nature


 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Life is in the Balance Drawings Have Been Completed

It Hit Home Working on this Drawing Today

Drawing #1: Mullein is completed