Trumpet Honeysuckle and Chinese Redwood

 I have mixed feelings as I start this sixth and final drawing of the series funded by a grant from the New York State Council on the Arts. This way of seeing/working and the series will continue...as it has since the 1970's. A look at nature and geometry has been a career long fascination.

 

My photographs as resources and the preliminary drawing of the geometry with a tracing paper text run on the flowers.

Yesterday I had a wonderful visit to Narrows Botanical Gardens (actually I go at least 2 or 3 times a week). It was my intention to finalize my plans for this last drawing, ie subject matter. I had European columbine in mind, but when I got there, I was immediately enamored with the trumpet honeysuckle. I can't believe it seemed brand new to me, apparently it was planted beside the willow tree three years ago.

The color and the delicate and complex cone shaped flowers reminded me of the honeysuckle of my youth but burst into full glory! Trees from my favorite grove of Chinese redwoods (also known as Dawn redwoods) will complete this image.The bark and trunk structure are fascinating and a previous source of inspiration for a drawing, seen as I get started on it a year or so ago. Their history is equally fascinating.

 


Thanks for your interest in my work and this series of drawings. Stay tuned!

Learn more about my work at KristinHarrisDesign.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Hit Home Working on this Drawing Today

The Life is in the Balance Drawings Have Been Completed

Drawing #1: Mullein is completed