Opening Was a Great Success

At the opening event for Life Is In the Balance, I had the delightful opportunity to have conversations with about 25-30 park visitors about the artwork. It was so gratifying to hear how much the work was appreciated and how it added to their experience in the park. Narrows Botanical Gardens are truly a valuable resource for the community. I am so happy to make this contribution for the two months the artwork will be on display. Don't miss out. July 15 - September 15

 

Kristin in front of newly installed artwork: Narrows Botanical Gardens, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

I got an interesting array of questions, most frequently what were the materials used to make them. Seeing drawing reproduced on vinyl is not something that happens everyday and many thought they were paintings on canvas. I informed them that the originals were mixed media on paper, which of course could not be displayed outside. I explained that the work was inspired by the gardens and all of the plants/fauna exist in the park. 

 

Friends enjoying the art and breeze. 

One person wanted to know if I knew what each plant was...that was a bit surprising. Yes, I do and what they are played a major role in my wanting to include them in this series. I have a very special connection to each one.

Primrose and Oregon Grape, mixed media on paper, 30"x30"


 My had a favorite question I asked,  especially to the children who stopped by. Which drawing is your favorite? I wasn't too surprised....the adults picked Trumpet Honeysuckle and the kids liked the Monarch Butterflies. I must say, I have to agree about the Trumpet Honeysuckle. It is quite spectacular. It's the color and how it grabs you and pulls you in. I grew up with honeysuckle but not this spectacular variety.

Trumpet Honeysuckle, mixed media on paper, 30"x30"

Very special attendees were my grandchildren. Here my granddaughter is discussing the more nuanced aspects of art appreciation with my friend Chris.


To celebrate the event, I gave away about 20 of my Nature in the City series of coloring books. If you didn't get yours, they are available on Amazon.


Again, my profound thanks to the New York State Council on the Arts for funding this project and my friends at Narrows Botanical Gardens for wanting to play along with me.

ITS NOT OVER. The next event is my Drawing Workshop on August 19th.  Stay tuned. Let me know if YOU have questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Life is in the Balance Drawings Have Been Completed

Exhibit Opening: Saturday, July 22 from 12-2

PIcture Perfect Afternoon