PIcture Perfect Afternoon

Chinese Redwood Grove at Narrows Botanical Gardens

On Saturday, August 19th I taught a drawing workshop at Narrows Botanical Gardens in conjunction with my Life Is In the Balance exhibition. I was thrilled to welcome 15 participants to our drawing studio, inside a grove of Chinese redwoods in the Gardens. We had artists from 4 to 70 years old. My students from the Bay Ridge Center were well represented and a welcome addition.

 


 

I brought a number of drawing pads and pencil and as I introduced myself I handed out the supplies. The students first task was to open the tablet and write; My Nature Notebook and their name. I challenged them to  continue to fill the notebook with drawings from nature after they left the workshop.

 
For those who chose an alternative to drawing the trees (complex subject matter) I had a collection of natural object for them to draw. There was a cicada, a few seed pods, a small branch from the redwoods complete with pinecones. I explained I frequently like to hold the object I am drawing in my hand to carefully observe it...not possible with a tree sadly.


We were inside the grove of trees for a number of reasons. As you may know, the shade of a tree lowers the temperature by about 10 degrees. I was concerned in planning the workshop that it might be a very hot day and I wanted to provide a space out of the sun for students to relax and draw.

The second reason we were inside the grove is because the Chinese redwoods are spectacular subjects to observe and draw; beautiful color, texture and fascinating branching structure.They have a very interesting story to tell about being 70 million years old, lost and found again.
 
The third reason was I wanted to introduce the students to this contemplative space, available to NBG visitors when they visit. 
 

 We had wonderful young artists and older ones too.
 
Helping artists get set up with supplies.

Some drawing instruction

 

Among the students were accomplished artists and beginners. 
 

 

The children were fearless and did amazing work. I was especially thrilled with this chalk drawing inspired by my work.
 
 
Thank you so much to all those who attended, New York State Council on the Arts for funding this project and Narrows Botanical Gardens for the wonderful natural location so easily accessible to us and their collaboration in this exhibit. You made my day!
 
 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Life is in the Balance Drawings Have Been Completed

Exhibit Opening: Saturday, July 22 from 12-2